Keeping Faith Alive: Letter from Rev. Rachel, April 21, 2020
“You know the message he (God) sent to the people of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ—he is Lord of all.” Acts 10:36
What is the message that God has for you this Easter season? Perhaps you didn’t find God’s message in my sermon, or in your Easter basket, or in the mail. God rarely gives us messages that are that clear. I used to joke with my Dad that mystics had it easy, as at least they heard voices or had visions so they knew what God was saying. The vast majority of us who worship God are not mystics, so we have to look and listen for God’s messages in other ways. A nudge, a sense of relief in prayer or a phone call, a beautiful moment out in nature, are just a few ways God has spoken to some of you. If I were to hazard a guess as to what God’s message is for St. Cross as we continue the quarantine it would be: Keep Faith Alive.
How are each of us keeping faith alive? Granted, this is an ongoing topic, and something I nudge about in most of my communication. I do so because our faith is our lifeline. If we keep our faith alive, then the chaos in the world around us cannot overcome us. Faith always a top priority, but even more so in a time when our world has changed on a dime. None of us have lived through a pandemic. None of us have had to work, school, play, connect with family from home. We are all figuring this out as we go along, and our faith hopefully is a place that we can touch, come back to, get centered around, when we feel the chaos and exhaustion creeping in.
This week I encourage you to think about how you are keeping faith alive in your life and in your home.
- First, you are reading this, so that is a step, and hopefully some encouragement.
- Are you signed up for our weekly texts? You can do so by texting pray to 833-407-0108.
- Are you planning on coming to our 45 minute study “Get in on the Acts” starting this Wednesday at 6:15 PM via Zoom? Here is the link.
- Are you joining us nightly on Facebook at 7 for our live Compline service?
- Have you turned in prayer requests at www.stcross.org/pray?
- Are you joining us for Sunday service at stcross.org/live?
- Have you helped your neighbor? Maybe it was just a smile and saying hi from more than 6 feet, but connection to those around us is important.
- Have you said grace at a meal this week? Have you prayed?
Faith needs tending. It is a relationship with God, and scripture is pretty clear that God will always be there, but it is WAY better for us if we tend to the relationship and not take it for granted. There are a million ways to keep your faith alive. Find what works for you. Share it with a family member or friend. And then give thanks. We are in the Easter season of joy and thanksgiving, so give thanks for our Lord Jesus Christ being in our lives now and always.